It’s a busy weekend for me. Busy in a good way but still busy. On Sunday, we’ll be doing a gender reveal party with our fam. Can’t wait. We’re all in the same boat for the most part. We lead busy lives. Kids, mortgage, job, friends, family, etc. That’s probably not going to change. So how do we navigate the complexities of nutrition and eating healthy when life is so busy? The key is to focus on the big rocks and not get caught up in the minutia. Here are the big rocks and some really simple but practical suggestions.
- Sleep – This is one of the biggest problems we face in general. People are not getting enough sleep but perhaps more detrimental is the lack of quality. Set a curfew for screen time and avoid caffeine late in the day!
- Water – Another big problem. It’s easy to drink water but it’s also easy not to and for that reason, many people don’t drink enough.
- Protein – Protein is an important component of every cell in your body. Everything from enzymes to hormones to muscles. Strive to get 1-2 palms per meal.
- Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are easily broken down into glucose which the body utilizes for various functions. There are different types of carbohydrates including simple, complex, and fibrous. Strive to eat 1-2 fists of veggies at each meal and 1-2 cupped hands of properly prepared starchy carbs if extra are needed.
- Fats – Fats are a very misunderstood nutrient. Many people still mistakenly believe that fats are bad for them. This is completely untrue. Fats are important for protecting internal organs, to absorb fat soluble vitamins, and can be a great source of energy yielding 9 calories per gram. Strive to eat 1 thumb of healthy fat per meal.
By focusing on these rocks rather than minor details, you will be helping to ensure you are getting the nutrition your body needs to perform at an optimal level.
Billy Hofacker – Owner & Transformation Coach at Total Body Boot Camp – BS, CSCS