Here’s a little twist on everyone’s favorite dip – guacomole! Plantains are high in Vitamin A, fiber, potassium and magnesium, as well as Vitamin C. Always looking for new ways to add them into our diet. This recipe is a winner! Bring it along for parties on the holiday weekend – I’m sure it will be one of your go-to’s for the summer BBQ’s 🙂
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large brown plantain, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 3 large avocados, cut in half, pits removed
- ¼ medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeno
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add coconut oil. Once hot, add half of the garlic to the pan along with diced plantain.
2. When the plantain begins to brown, sprinkle with salt and flip to brown on other side.
3. Add the water to the pan and cover to steam the plantain.
4. Once the plantain is soft, remove from the heat to cool.
5. Meanwhile, scoop the avocados from the skin and put in a large mixing bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork. Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
6. Fold in the plantains. Chill in the fridge before serving. Enjoy!